Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tuesdays with Dorie: Cranberry Upside-Downer

Cranberries aren't all that common in Australia but I was delighted when Sabrina of Superfluous chose Dorie's Cranberry Upside-Downer this week.

While we never see fresh cranberries here and the frozen ones make only a brief appearance in December, I knew I had one lonely box left in the freezer. Yay!

There was no way I wasn't going to love this cake. First of all, upside down cakes are fun! I've been making a version with tinned pineapple since I was a child. Secondly it has fruit, nuts and spices. All of which I adore.

The cake is a breeze to make and it looks stunning covered with bright, jewel-toned cranberries and its shiny redcurrant glaze.

Served warm straight from the oven with a scoop of vanilla icecream, this is my idea of heaven.

Thanks for a wonderful pick Sabrina! I will definitely be making this again around Christmas when frozen cranberries next make their appearance. You can find the recipe on Sabrina's blog here.

11 comments:

  1. It looks great Susan. Alas, no cranberries for me, but I went the pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had cranberries. I also found a bag in my freezer. What a fun delicious dessert. Your cake looks great. Fun, fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um yeah, I'd say heaven! Yours looks so delicious. I loved this recipe too, I made it with peaches and raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky to have a bad in my freezer too. This was so good. I did think it was better the first day though. Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of cranberries, so I did pineapple.

    So very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I'm jealous that you had cranberries available. I can't wait to try this one again around Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks perfectly tasty! Im glad you loved this recipe too..I am making it again as well!!
    I used cherries and boy was it good!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never got to it this week, but it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. a very fall flavored, fall looking cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow this looks absolutely fantastic! i can't imagine not having cranberries at my disposal when the craving hits. be sure to stock up this coming winter, as it looks like you'll be making this one again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks beautiful! I was happy to have stored cranberries in my freezer for this one too

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Questions or comments? I would love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...